we went to the ob/gyn yesterday to confirm. :) it was a strange experience, to say the least.
1. i had to give a urine sample. "everything you need is in the restroom," the nurse said. i expected to see those plastic cups with screw caps for urine, but all i saw were those opaque plastic dixie cups. i contemplated them for several seconds before deciding it was better than nothing. but, of course, i got more pee on my hand than in the cup.
2. the first thing the doc asked was, "do you like your mole?" huh? apparently he was referring to the one above my lip. "i have a fellowship in cosmetic surgery. i can take care of that." my ambivalence led him to ask my mom, who said, "i hate it." then he asked ryan, who admitted to liking it. "well, there's your answer," the doctor said.
3. "do you drink?" no. "do you smoke?" no. "do you smoke marijuana on the weekend but not inhale?" o_O
4. he asked us if we wanted to have some optional procedures done before and after the birth (e.g. amniocentesis), to all of which we said no. he also asked if we wanted to preserve the cord blood, which is an expensive decision. "i don't know why people do it," he added.
5. as he plays with my left nipple--"oh it looks fine, you should be able to breastfeed, no problem."
6. as his head disappears below my knees--"it looks pretty clean."
7. as the cervix comes into view--"oh, you're definitely pregnant. it's purplish."
8. "it's better to have a full bladder [for the sonogram]." thanks for telling me that AFTER i gave a urine sample.
he tried to do a sonogram, but, of course, there was nothing to see as i'm probably only 4 weeks along, which differs slightly from the nurse's opinion (6 weeks) and the doctor's (8 weeks). now, ryan and i know better than they do that i can't possibly be more than 4 weeks. come on, i know when we made the first attempt, and that was after the school year was over. i go back in four weeks for the next check-up, at which time (hopefully) i'll be able to see something on the sonogram. according to my calculations, i am due mid- to late march. yay!